As a headteacher staff development was high on Sheelagh’s agenda. The staff were trained from an early stage in their careers to:
- Induct newly qualified teachers
- Through the DfES (now DCFS) Outstanding Schools’ SCITT, train 4 graduates annually to QTS status, distance linked to Nottingham University
- Mentor and coach trainee ITT teachers
- Mentor and train Teaching Assistants
- Delegation and empowerment of staff to management responsibilities, developing them for promotion
- 7 deputy headteachers went on to headship under Sheelagh’s leadership, one is now HMI
- 4 teachers went on to Deputy Headship from Goathland under Sheelagh’s leadership
Support, training and coaching as well as improving management, leadership and teaching skills also contributes positively to Work/Life balance and excellent staff attendance.
Primary Strategy Consultant Leader (PSCL):
PSCL since 2004 ( invited by LA), to support schools in difficulties and also to support and mentor newly appointed headteachers. Two schools supported by Sheelagh achieved outstanding Ofsted inspections.
Primary School Improvement Partner(SIP):
- Invited by LA to apply, and became accredited during first phase as primary SIP.
- From January 2007 supported 3 North Tyneside (NT )schools as SIP( whilst continuing as a headteacher)
- From January 2008 invited to be primary SIP to schools in Bolton(Lancs) through Northern Education.
- From January 2008 invited to intensively support a school in the category of NtI in North Tyneside.
- Invited to intensively support a school in Northumberland in Special Measures (HMI July 2009, ‘The SIP provides exceptional support...’ )
- April 2010 support extended to 2 Middle Schools in Northumberland
- April 2010 supporting Newcastle schools as SIP(Northern Education), several in challenging circumstances.
National Leader in Education & National Support School (NLE/NSS) :
- Sheelagh became an NLE with her school a NSS in September 2007 with National College of School Leadership (NCSL)
- Sheelagh is now experienced at supporting and challenging schools in categories of NtI and Special Measures and successfully moving them forward and out of categories.
- Proven challenge & support to headteachers on improving achievement
- Practical and effective working with headteachers, management teams & governors on monitoring and evaluation of lessons and scrutiny of pupils’ books and standards of work.
- Monitoring the effective use of APP to ensure accurate assessment of pupils’ work.
- Working with documentation and policies to improve leadership of school(SEF)
- Data analysis with staff and headteacher (Raiseonline/FFT)
- Training staff to prepare for Ofsted
- Training staff towards management duties
- Coaching management teams
- Coaching aspiring leaders
- Performance Management training with headteachers and staff
- Governor training
- School initiatives/vision
- School Development Planning
- Writing , revising and updating SEF
Sheelagh is able, through her own commitment, enjoyment and experience of school leadership to support and enthuse others.
Goathland’s Ofsted Inspection Report 2007 stated: ‘....Much of this is the result of the inspirational leadership of the headteacher. She ensures that staff, throughout the school, continually develop their skills both as teachers and managers, so that there is a strong network of support and challenge.'